TOP TEN SUMMER SHAPE-UP TIPS
Summer is here and everyone is thinking about getting healthy, fit, and looking great! Here are some small changes that you can do that will help you look and feel great!
1. Eat fresh food, not processed foods. Anything that has more than 5 ingredients in the label should be avoided.
2. Eat small meals throughout the day. Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day. Prepare your meals ahead of time to avoid impulse eating.
3. Try to get 5 servings from protein a day, 5 vegetables, 1-2 good carbohydrates (this may vary depending on your activity level) and 1 fat. A serving size is about the size of your palm. If you wait to eat when you are really hungry you waited too long. When you finish eating you should not be stuffed or really full. Eat small meals every 2-3 hours. Planning is the key to success!
4. Vary your workouts and do not always do the same thing! Do a variety of cardiovascular exercise. The treadmill, bike, stair climber, swimming, and elliptical are all great options.
5. Do resistance training at least 2-3 days a week. Resistance training (weight training) will build muscle and muscle fuels your metabolism to burn calories.
6. Drink plenty of water. Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink water. If you wait until you are thirsty you are probably dehydrated. Drink frequently and if you are outside in the summer you should drink more than 8 glasses a day! Dehydration can cause you to feel fatigued and get headaches. Drinking plenty of water is essential for you to feel great and keep your skin healthy.
7. Avoid caffeine, soda, energy drinks, and alcohol. Some of these contain caffeine which will dehydrate you. Some of them also contain sugar which is empty calories and can cause a sugar crash. A sugar crash will give you a quick energy boost for a short time and then you will suddenly crash and be really tired. Alcohol is empty calories and will dehydrate you.
8. Avoid sugar all together! Do not get your calories from sugary drinks either. This includes fruit juices which may seem healthy. You are better off drinking more water and less sugary drinks.
9. Do not eat just because you are bored. If you tend to snack at night, then find an activity that will keep you busy at that time.
10. Take a good multiple vitamin and mineral supplement. When you are exercising and in the summer heat you sweat and lose minerals through your sweat. It is very hard to replenish everything through your diet. Get a good multiple vitamin at a health food store. Some good products are Alive Multiple Vitamin by Natures Way or GNC’s Women’s Ultra Mega. If you sweat a lot in the heat or when you exercise you may want to also get a mineral supplement in addition to the multiple vitamin. One other supplement that is great for keeping your energy levels high is COQ10. Make sure you get the form Ubiquinol and take 100mg a day! This provides cellular energy.