1. The Manila Hotel is the oldest premier hotel in the country and was the first to install air conditioning.
2. The Philippines has nearly twice the length of coastline as the U.S.A.
3. The critically endangered monkey-eating Philippine eagle is the world’s largest eagle.
4. Quezon City the former capital of the Philippines is a sister city of Salt Lake City.
5. Luzon, the largest island group is home to more than half of the population.
6. The country was discovered in 1521 by the Portugeuse explorer, Ferdinand Magellan.
7. Cebu City is the oldest city in the country and is the main shipping port.
8. Due to congestion, car owners in Manila are not allowed to drive on a certain day of the week.
9. The Philippines are the only Christian country in Asia.
10. Rizal Memorial Sports Complex in Manila is the oldest sports complex in Asia.
11. The Philippines has over 7,000 islands, 37 volcanoes and suffers around 19 typhoons per year on average.
12. The country is a former colony of Spain and its name is derived from King Philip II of Spain.
13. After the U.S.A and Indonesia, The Philippines has the most boy scouts.
14. Found on the island of Mindoro, the tamaraw, a species of buffalo is the country’s largest wild animal.
15. The Philippines is known as the ‘Pearl of the Orient’.
16. It is said that the safest part of the country is in Palawan because it’s further away from volcanoes and earthquake faults, described as the ‘Pacific Ring of Fire’.
17. The Philippines is the third-largest English-speaking country in the world.
18. San Sebastian Church in Manila is the only Gothic style church in Asia.
19. 488 coral species are found in the Philippines.
20. The longest accessible underground river in the world is located in Palawan.
21. The Philippines are the biggest producers of coconuts in the world.
22. Zamboanga City in Mindanao is known as ‘Asia’s Latin City’.
23. Mount Apo, meaning ‘Grandfather’ or ‘Master’ is the biggest mountain in the country and is home to 270 bird species.
24. The Filipino world champion boxer Manny Pacquaio is nicknamed ‘Pac-Man’.
25. Marikina City is known as the ‘shoe capital’ of the Philippines.