Ear ringing is a condition medically known as tinnitus. This condition is characterized as hearing a ringing noise in the ears. Most of the time, tinnitus is not a serious problem and quite often, it will just go away on its own, although, sudden ear ringing can also be a sign of a more serious health disorder.
Tinnitus can happen in different parts of the ear, like the inner, the middle, and the outer ear. It can also occur in the brain.
Listed below are 5 Common Causes of Sudden Ear Ringing:
- Loud noises – Most of the time, exposure to loud noises is the primary reason behind sudden ringing in the ear. Exposure to very loud sounds can be very dangerous to our hearing capabilities, and a few people nowadays show concern for this fact. Loud music, exposure to noise, alarms and loud gunshots exposure over a period of time can lead this ringing.
- Stress – Another major cause of tinnitus is stress. When an individual is always experiencing stress, the body’s defense against diseases is compromised. Stress can actually lead and worsen tinnitus.
- Fluid Accumulation – People who suffer from allergies and ailments will most of the time find they are experiencing sudden ear ringing. This is considered to be as one of the most typical causes of tinnitus. When one is sick, there are times when they experience sinus build-up and mucous accumulation in the ears, nose, and the mouth. Taking in some antibiotics can cause the mucous lining to be thicker, thereby causing the ears to ring.
- Aging – The process of aging also causes tinnitus. As people age, we suffer from loss of hearing and damage of nerves found in the ears. Presbycusis is the term used to describe the hearing loss in elderly people, and one of the symptoms of this particular condition is ringing in the ears.
- Medication – There are certain types of medication, both prescription and over-the-counter drugs that can lead to sudden ear ringing. Medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines like aspirin can be a cause.
There are many resources available to help you with this annoying condition. It is always advisable to learn more about any condition that is affecting you.