Not a citizen of the European Union, but planning to study in the UK? You certainly need to apply for a UK student visa. However, first, you need to understand the fact that you can only apply for a student visa if you intend to study a full-time degree course in the United Kingdom. The type of student visa you are eligible for depends on several factors including, your age, type of course applied for, the length of the course, and the college or university you intend to take admission in. Below is a quick guide on how to get a UK student without much hustle-bustle.

Types of Student Visa

International students wishing to study in the UK may apply for two different visas; Student Visitor Visa and Tier 4 Student Visa. Giving a brief description of each, a Student Visitor Visa (SVV) is best for short academic courses and is mostly preferred by students taking admission in English courses. For lengthy academic or degree courses, students need to apply for a Tier 4 Visa.

The Tier 4 Visa is further divided into two sub categories, Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child). For your knowledge, all Tier 4 visas (including sub-categories) are issued under the provisions of the UK Points Based System (PBS).

UK Student Visa Requirements

It is no new trend that most course providers offer assistance to students to apply for a UK student visa once they have offered a place on a course in the university. Students are eligible for applying for the visa up to three months in advance of the start date of the course. However, students are always advised to apply for a visa well in advance as average visa processing time may vary from student to student. Given below are few pointers which will make it easy for you to understand all the requirements for getting a student visa in the UK.

  • You need to pass an approved English language test before you apply for your visa in the UK.
  • The institution you wish to take admission in must be recognized by the UK Border Agency.
  • You need to produce a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the concerned institution where you intend to take your education from. A CAS is generally issued once your place is confirmed in the college.
  • If you are an adult (18+), you must make sure your preferred course is at NQF Level 3 or above (e.g. A Level or University Foundation).

You must prove sufficient funds to pay for your studies. Apart from first-year tuition fees in full, you need to have at least £7,380 (£9,180 in London) for living expenses and accommodation.

Source by Fusco Browne