Dental surgery is often a traumatic experience in one’s life. However, surgeries are generally done by the dentists when the condition of the teeth worsens. Experienced cosmetic dentists know the right techniques to perform those operations. Dental operations are beneficial for correcting misaligned teeth and jaws. There are also people who have to undergo operations for removing decayed or damaged teeth. You should choose a reputed dentist to get your teeth operated.
Before undergoing a surgery, you should know that such operations encompass different types of specialties and procedures. That is why it is important to note the specialization of the dentist who will be performing the treatment upon you. Following are some of the dental surgery specialties:
* The first type of dental surgery comprises orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. These disciplines focus on correcting overbite and underbite problems. Surgical straightening of the teeth set is important as in addition to cosmetic appeal, maximum amount of contact area between upper and lower teeth aids in chewing and talking.
* The second type of dental surgery is Endodontics. In this type, focus is given primarily on the interiors of the teeth. Diseases of the root canal, arteries, veins, and nerves are treated by such surgeries. Endodontic dental surgery mainly concerns the delicate, sensitive parts of the teeth. In the root canal therapy, the roots of the teeth are split open, the diseased and damaged tissues are removed, and the gap is filled with a synthetic material.
* Another branch of dental surgery is the Periodontics. In such dental operations, the gums and jaws are mainly treated. If you are diagnosed with “Gingivities” or inflammation of the gums, periodontic surgical treatments will be applied on you. Periodontics also constructs and place prosthetic implants in place of missing and diseased teeth. However, you should ensure that the surgeries are performed by experienced dentists to ensure optimal performance and reduced chances of any infection.
* Another group of dentists are known as prosthodontists. They specialize in providing prosthetic dental appliances like dentures. They create and attach prosthetics surgically. They also ensure that the synthetic dentures created should match well with the remaining teeth of the patient.
* There is yet another type of dental surgery – the oral and maxillofacial operations. Oral surgeons perform different dental surgeries of the face and the mouth. Such surgeries deal with wisdom teeth removal and facial reconstruction.
You might be unsure about the type of treatment to opt for. You should therefore visit a dentist who will be able to examine you and suggest the right type of dental surgery. Kansas City has a few renowned dentists whom you can contact for necessary consultation and recommendations.