The most popular drink among today’s youth is the ginger beer. The spicy, sweet beverage has a relishing taste; it serves as a good addition to all kinds of mocktails and cocktails.
Ginger is known for removing toxic chemicals from the human body, as it contains a rich amount of antioxidants. The process of fermentation causes ginger to release probiotics as well as enzymes, that helps maintain a healthy ‘gut microflora’.
There are many ways to prepare ginger beer. Mostly, people prepare a syrup containing ginger, water, sugar, and mix this syrup to soda water. While this is the easiest method to prepare ginger beer, and the preparation tastes great, we may ferment the ginger beer further to prepare a healthy drink.
The process of making ginger beer includes the ingredients of freshly grated ginger, lemon juice, water, and yeast. The final product acquires a sweet taste, but actually, has a low content of sugar.
The time is taken to prepare ginger beer spans across 3 days from the beginning to the end. The process to prepare ginger beer is as mentioned below:
- Fresh ginger must be peeled, grated. You require around 1/4 cup grated ginger for this drink.
- Add ½ teaspoon tartar cream, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and grated ginger in a pot.
- Add four cups water; bring it to a boil.
- On medium heat, add the remaining amount of sugar; stir vigorously until the sugar dissolves in the mixture.
- Add 5 cups of cold water and keep aside at a temperature of 75 degrees.
- Add 1 teaspoon of yeast and mix well.
- Cover the mixture in the pot; place the pot in a dark, warm area of the house for three hours. After 3 hours, the mixture will emanate the smell of ginger and yeast.
- Strain the prepared mixture into a pitcher, using a strainer, to discard the tiny pieces of ginger.
- Pour the ginger brew into two plastic bottles of 1-liter measure each. Remember not to fill the bottles up to the brim as the process of fermentation will produce carbon dioxide.
- The prepared ginger beer should be kept in a dark and warm area of the house for two or three days. Loosen the lids of the bottles between one and three times during a day to release the pressure. In the process, the ginger beer will generate a fizz. So, you should be careful and avoid pointing the bottle at any person or yourself.
- You can a small quantity of chili pepper to give a kick.
Once the ginger brew is fermented, you can customize the drink by adding fruit, juice, syrup or liquor according to your choice. If you are using glass bottles to ferment the ginger beer, the beer should lose the maximum amount of fizz before the drink is poured into the bottle; otherwise, carbon dioxide will be generated due to fermentation, which in turn may cause an explosion due to high pressure.
To get more Information about how to brew ginger beer visit us.