The Extended Student Visitor Visa was launched on 10 January 2011 and is available to students wishing to study an English language course for more than 6 months. As the name suggests, it falls under the visitor visa category rather than the main student visa category (Tier 4). Like a visit visa, the SVV does not allow students to undertake any employment or bring dependents. Home Office has announced this short term visa category which will be available to students over 18 years old who want to study an English language course for between six and eleven months. The visa will be valid for 11 months. Students enrolling in other courses or English Plus courses will not qualify for the ESVV.

Detail about this category:

  • ESVV allows for short term students to take on a short period of study during their visit to the UK;
  • As it is visitor visa, Visitor is required to meet the requirements of the rules relating to visitors;
  • In addition, student visitor will also have to demonstrate that he/she has been accepted on a course of study provided by an organization which is included on the Register of Education and Training Providers;
  • There are no provisions for Student Visitors to extend their leave in the UK or switch in-country to any other category. If they wish to follow a further course of study they must return to their home country and obtain a student visa.
  • Any leave granted in this new category will be counted as a period spent as a visitor for the purposes of considering an in-country application for visitor leave.
  • Like a visit visa, the SVV does not allow students to undertake any employment or bring dependents.
  • Students will need to show that their course is longer than 6 months.
  • Non-visa nationals coming for more than 6 months will also be required to apply for this extended SVV before traveling to the UK as the visa will not be available on arrival in the UK.

UK Student Visitor must Not

  • Take employment in the United Kingdom;
  • Engage in business, produce goods or provide services within the United Kingdom, including selling goods or services directly to members of the public;
  • Study at a government-funded school;
  • Be a child under the age of 18;
  • Undertake part-time (up to 20 hours), or full-time vacation employment;
  • Undertake a work placement or internship (paid or unpaid) as part of your course of study; or
  • Extend your stay in the United Kingdom.

Apply for UK Student Visitor Visa

Since 1 September 2007, all nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area who wish to study in the United Kingdom need prior entry clearance (permission to come here) as a student.

This does not apply if you wish to come here as a student visitor for a course of fewer than six months. Student visitors must meet the same entry clearance requirements as visitors.

How Can I Extend My stay?

You will not be able to extend your stay in the United Kingdom as a student visitor. There are no provisions in the student visitor rules for extensions to be granted. You can only obtain leave (permission to enter the United Kingdom) as a student visitor by applying for a student visitor visa at a British diplomatic post abroad or by seeking leave from an immigration officer when you arrive in the United Kingdom.

About Appeal

If Home Office refuse your application, the ECO (Entry Clearance Officer) will tell you and you will be given a detailed written refusal notice. This will tell you if and how you can appeal.

Source by Jaspal Singh