Title: Moh Maya Money
CBFC Rating: U/A
Genre: Crime Thriller
Star Cast: Neha Dhupia, Ranvir Shorey, Vidushi Mehra
Director: Munish Bhardwaj
Duration: 1h 48m
Munish Bhardwaj’s Moh Maya Money: In Greed We Trust is about those people whose lives revolve around money and can never be content with what they have. This film hits the theatre on Friday, November 25.
The film is about Aman (Ranvir Shorey) and Divya (Neha Dhupia), a middle class couple from Delhi. Divya is a news producer while Aman is a real estate broker. Aman’s ultimate aim is to make it big and become rich by hook or by crook. He follows simple mantra, ‘High risk is necessary for high returns’. He comes across a big chance to make big money and plans out a white collar crime, the consequences of which will be even faced by his wife and some strangers. The story revolves around the greed, murder, lust and deception.
What You Should Expect?
Moh Maya Money is an honest story that will resonate with many.
- The movie opens with a flaming car and a mourning widow. This scene catches your attention instantly.
- The film keeps going back and forth in time. This narrative helps bring to light how both the protagonists view events in their lives.
- There are curve balls thrown in between to build up the story. You soon realise that Aman and Divya are a dysfunctional couple and are not emotionally in sync with each other.
- The director has used the Delhi city as the backdrop to the film in the best possible manner. Many places are used for the sake of symbolisation.
- Music by Oscar-winner Resul Pookutty is magical. The dialogues are well-writtenis power packed with the Delhi flavour.
- After the intermission, the movie has nothing new to offer and is very predictable. Nothing surprises or shocks the viewer.
- Better editing and a tighter storyline would have definitely made Moh Maya Money a better film.
- The climax of the movie is very disappointing as you can predict everything that will happen frame by frame.
- As the movie has no commercial stars it will fail to bring audience to the theatre.
Why It Would Make for a Great Web Series
Munish Bhardwaj’s direction is precise and meticulous but the movie would have made for a great web series.
This film which is 1 hour 49 minutes long has a great potential of becoming a web series it were broken down into episodes that were 15 to 20 minutes long. More layers and twists and turns can be added to the script is the film was a web series instead.
In a thriller, one would like that the events are fast paced and shock inducing. The shock factor makes a thriller interesting and this film is low on just that. If it were a web series the makers could have taken their time and every episode could have ended with a cliff hanger, the audience would eagerly wait for the next installment.
The script, cinematography and the settings are very similar to what we see with the popular web series nowadays.
The series would also have given them the opportunity to work on more prospects for Divya’s character. The series could have had different ending too. The series would have definitely garnered a major fan following because the plot has the potential to do so.
The film gives you ample opportunities to refill your popcorn.
Ranvir Shorey, who has played the character of a Delhi boy several times in the past, absolutely plays this one to perfection. He shines throughout the film. Neha Dhupia knows what she is doing and understands what her character demands. She totally standouts in the climax when she realises that she has lost everything.
The storyline of the film is interesting. It gives an interesting glimpse of people’s morality and how they tend to put everything at stake to fulfill their ambitions. The movie isn’t one that would attract the masses. We recommend the film to those who like experimenting with different kinds of films and entertainment isn’t high up on their agenda.
You can give this film a miss this weekend. Instead watch it online or when it airs later.