Three Dead as Building Collapses due to Fire in Mankhurd

Fire caused due to leaked LPG

0
239
Image for representation purposes only

The morning of December 15 turned tragic for the Wankhede family, when three members of the family lost their lives as a building collapsed due to fire in the Manhkurd Mhada Colony. The house on the first floor of the building caught fire due to leaked LPG. The fire reached the second floor, leading to the building collapsing. Three people lost their lives and eight were injured in this incident.

According to the Divisional Fire Officer (DFO) S B Karade, “Fire was confined to accumulated LP gas, LP gas segree, household articles, electric wirings, etc. in ground plus one structure room on ground floor. After the fire, one floored structure and two adjacent ground floors collapsed and 13 persons (four female, four male and seven children) were injured and sustained burn injuries.”

Eight people (two female, one male and 5 children) were rescued and send to Shatabdi Hospital in a private vehicle before the arrival of fire brigade. Five people (two female, one male and two children) were rescued by firemen and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) labourers and were sent to Shatabdi Hospital in an ambulance.

According to the Superintendent of Doctors at Shatabdi Hospital, “Two people named Rekha Wankhede (30) and Kasturbha Wankhede (60) were brought in dead to the hospital, while Shankar Wankhede (38) died during receiving treatment and eight injured people were shifted to Sion Hospital.”

Three fire engines, one rescue van, Divisional Fire Officer S.B. Karade, Assistant Divisional Fire Officer Milind Donde, Station Officers Bamble and Sakpal were present at the spot to help the people who were stuck under the debris.