In our country where people from different religion, caste and creed reside under one roof; Jowar has different names. It is called Sorghum in English, Jowar in Hindi, Cholam in Tamil; Jonna in Telugu. It is one of the most ancient crops of India.
It is known for its immense health benefits. However, nowadays we see several chemicals being used to grow crops. So, grains like Jowar, if grown organically have several health benefits. This makes it a worthy addition to your diet.
Benefits of Jowar:
Jowar is produced in ample quantity in India. Even though the country has the richest source; people seldom prefer to include this grain in their daily diet. It is a staple food of India. Less water is needed for its plantation.
Nutritional Value of Jowar:
- Ample source of Nutrients
- Is a good source of all forms of Vitamin B such as Thiamin, Niacin & Riboflavin
- Has high level of magnesium, iron, copper, calcium, phosphorous and potassium
- Has more antioxidants when compared to Pomegranates and Blueberries
Which health issues can be solved?
- It is a boon for people with Gluten sensitivity: Wheat and wheat products contain gluten. And if a person is allergic to it, then he is supposed to avoid all wheat made products, which seriously drains one of nutrition. Jowar is an angelic rescuer for people with gluten sensitive people.
- Helps in managing diabetes
- Improves heart health
- Improves Digestion
- Keeps your bones healthy
- Works as a shield against osteoporosis and arthritis
- Lowers the possibility of Cancer
- Improves blood circulation
- Enhances energy level of your body
- Prevents constipation, gas, and diarrhoea
- Enhances the development of red blood cells.
100 gram of raw jowar includes 329 calories, 25% carbohydrates, 5% fat and 23% protein. It is rightly said to be the food for poor but then you see why they are much healthier; because the majority of their diet includes this golden grain.
Being neutral in taste; it improves the recipe texture. There are various Jowar recipes available that can help you get its benefits completely.
- Jowar Khichadi
- Vegetable Jowar Upma
- Jowar Laddu
- Jowar Paratha
- Jowar Vada
- Jowar Rice
- Jowar Dosa
It is also used in making alcohol beverages as well as popcorn. There are many healthy options available which when consumed help us to stay healthy. However, these health products are not easily available.
But don’t worry; you can find agricultural firms who are involved in the production of organic Jowar flour. Hence, it’s a good time to do a fresh start and begin using organic grains.Predominantly rice and wheat are included in the diet and other grains like Jowar, Millet, Bajra have been ignored significantly. In order to have sufficient benefits of Jowar, it can be consumed in several forms. Jowar flour is used to make laddus, chapati etc where as Jowar Rava is used for making Upma.
This flour or Jowar Rawa is easily available in the market at affordable rates. So, from now on try different varieties of Jowar and enjoy its benefits as well as taste.